cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FlexConnect on a SSID

Dan Tatham
Level 1
Level 1

If I have FlexConnect setup on a SSID and a remote site is using this setup, can another remote site use the SSID without FlexConnect on the AP's and have no issues?

Dan Tatham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shh5455
Level 3
Level 3

Yes.  You can have some APs be flexconnect (local switching) and some be local using the same SSID.  You can't seamlessly roam between them, but that doesn't sound like an issue for you

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

shh5455
Level 3
Level 3

Yes.  You can have some APs be flexconnect (local switching) and some be local using the same SSID.  You can't seamlessly roam between them, but that doesn't sound like an issue for you

So if I have an WLAN ID/SSID configured to use local interfaces on the controller I can modify that WLAN to also be flexconnect? Do I have to treat the local APs as thought they are FlexConnect and map the VLANs?

I currently have two SSIDs configured for my corporate location (Guest and Trusted). They are configured to use local VLANs with their own DHCP pool and ACLs. Both of these are also  integrated into ISE for 802.1x authentication and everything is working fine. I am trying to figure out if I can use these same WLAN ID/ SSID at my 25 remote locations or if I need to create unique FlexConnect WLAN IDs for each location and simply broadcast the same SSID? I just completed creating two unique WLAN ID/SSIDs for my test location to figure out how the whole FlexConnect thing worked. I can understand the VLAN mappings for the individual AP but seem to be missing something when I extend this to another remote location. Based upon what I am reading I should be able to take the AP at the second location and simply map the VLAN to the WLAN ID and things stay happy? Which brings me back to my question above. Do I need to reconfigure the existing local WLANs as though they are FlexConnect?