cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-relay and multilink

bbravo
Level 1
Level 1

Does anybody knows of a good method to aggregate 2 T1's over FR, the purpose will be to provide more bandwidth without using an IMUX, any help is greatly appreciated.

7 Replies 7

t.baranski
Level 4
Level 4

'Multilink Frame Relay' exists, though it's fairly new and therefore not yet widely supported in hardware/software like Multilink PPP is. Search the site for more information.

Thanks

rpinon
Level 1
Level 1

Qwest Communications will be starting multiling Frame Relay sometime in last quater so I heard. There are third party device such as FatPipe...

Good luck..

I looked at fatpipe and their product looks weak and very expensive, thanks for the reply.

bbravo,

I have been using MLFR for about 6months now and I have found it to be a definite benefit.. For one, you can aggregate NxT1's into a bundle interface and they will all be represented as MFR interface that you can setup properties on.. You have the ability to remove one of the NxT1's from the bundle interface and continue to operate over it... There are several docs. available. Even though it's fairly new, I feel that it will be the way to go to position yourself for future growth...

sbraswell
Level 1
Level 1

If you install 2 T1s into the same router, and they are of equal cost, the routing protocol will balance the traffic over the two. Obviously this isn't the same as muxing but it helps. We normally use the DL3800 IMUX by Digital Link. They are pretty simple to install and not too expensive.

rsalinas
Level 1
Level 1

Check out Gateway Load Balancing Protocol. It's supported as of IOS 12.2 . That may provide what your looking for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: