cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Full BGP table on sup720 w/512MB of DRAM?

randy.monroe
Level 1
Level 1

Is anyone doing full BGP table on a WS-SUP720-3B? Im wondering if upgrading to 1Gig is necessary.

Thanks,

-Randy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

I am running BGP on two Cat6509s, each with a Sup720-3B (not -3BXL). No problems handling the full routes they receive via iBGP from my two 7206VXRs, which run eBGP with my upstream ISPs.

Running "show ip bgp summary" on either 6509 shows 124,000+ BGP routes received from one Internet border router, and 152,000+ BGP routes received from the other.

The statistics from "show processes memory" or "show memory" tell me that I have about 44% memory used and 56% free on my Sup720s.

For whatever it's worth: when I originally specified the Sup720s I requested the -3BXL version. When it came time to buy, though, I had to change my priorities to fit some other items into the budget that had been approved for upgrades. Changing the Sup720s back to just the -3B version freed up the money I needed, and they're getting the job done.

When it comes time to upgrade my -3B to 1GB of memory, the cost of the upgrade kit (memory and PFC3BXL) is the same as the cost difference between the Sup720-3B and the Sup720-3BXL modules.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

williamwbishop
Level 1
Level 1

It's been a year or so, but yes, that would do it based on *then*

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

512MB should be plenty to handle the full Internet routing table.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello,

to give you some numbers: a typical BGP table with one path per destination would be less than 30 MB, 15 MB Ip routing table and 15 MB CEF table.

The more paths the more memory you need.

A couple of days ago I was connected to an ISP 6500 with sup2 MFSC2 and 256 MB RAM holding the complete internet BGP table. Average CPU load less than 15%.

In case you would like to see live routers on the internet go to traceroute.org -> Route Server and click some of the links presented. you will be able to telnet to some ISP routers setup for everyone for monitoring purposes. Do a "show ip bgp summary" or a "show proc cpu hist" or a "show proc mem" to check the resources used (not all routers will allow those commands though.).

So you have plenty of resources for a normal ISP environment.

Hope this helps! PLease rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

512MB for sup-720, how about cisco 3800?.

Because i Need to check with you whether cisco 3825 (with memory 256M) can support full routes BGP(currently there are about 180000++ routes).

Hi,

Upgrading the DRAM to 512Mb is recommended but the 256Mb of DRAM will perfectly well handle a full Internet routing table.

Hope that helps - pls rate posts that help.

Regards,

Paresh

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

I am running BGP on two Cat6509s, each with a Sup720-3B (not -3BXL). No problems handling the full routes they receive via iBGP from my two 7206VXRs, which run eBGP with my upstream ISPs.

Running "show ip bgp summary" on either 6509 shows 124,000+ BGP routes received from one Internet border router, and 152,000+ BGP routes received from the other.

The statistics from "show processes memory" or "show memory" tell me that I have about 44% memory used and 56% free on my Sup720s.

For whatever it's worth: when I originally specified the Sup720s I requested the -3BXL version. When it came time to buy, though, I had to change my priorities to fit some other items into the budget that had been approved for upgrades. Changing the Sup720s back to just the -3B version freed up the money I needed, and they're getting the job done.

When it comes time to upgrade my -3B to 1GB of memory, the cost of the upgrade kit (memory and PFC3BXL) is the same as the cost difference between the Sup720-3B and the Sup720-3BXL modules.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: