Helpful
Replies

GLC-T vs SFP-GE-T

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello

I need your opinion on something.

GLC-T = 1000BASE-T SFP transceiver module for Category 5 copper wire, RJ-45 connector
SFP-GE-T = 1000BASE-T SFP transceiver module for Category 5 copper wire, extended operating temperature range, RJ-45 connector

For me they look the same, with the exception of the extended temperature range.

I took two devices in which is highly probable to use them: C4500X and ASR1001X

C4500X, will use GLC-T
ASR1001X, will use the SFP-GE-T

I used the transceiver matrix available here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html

My question, what is the actual difference between the two models?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In general, non-extended temperature range SFP/SFP+'s are intended to be used within a data centre, or at least indoors - such as between a switch and a server.

The extended temperature range units tend to be optics, and are intended to be used with fibre that goes outside of the building (such as between buildings) where there is not a nice temperature controlled environment.

I haven't seen this before for a copper SFP, but if your copper is going into a non-temperature controlled environment (such as outside the building) then that is what you would want.

Hello Friends,

There are few differences like -

- GLC-T works with commercial temperature range (0 to 70 Deg C) while SFP-GE-T works in Extended temperature range (-5 to 85 Deg C)

- GLC-T is supported on wider range of Cisco Switches and Routers (Below Link shares the platforms which support GLC-T and SFP-GE-T Transceiver modules) 

http://www.ipwithease.com/glc-t-vs-sfp-ge-t/

Also, kindly note that GLC-T and SFP-GLC-T have been announced End Of Sale by Cisco and proposed replacement part code is GLC-TE.Hence you might consider the new part code if not ordered yet.

Thanks

Arush

Can anyone share if the GLC-TE comes in 10G or not?

@mabills wrote:

Can anyone share if the GLC-TE comes in 10G or not?

No, it does not.  GLC-TE is purely 1 Gbps only. 

If you want Cisco-branded 10 Gbps, SFP+, then it is SFP-10G-T.

Table 1.        SFP-10G-T-X cabling specifications

Cisco PIDs

Speeds

Cable Type

Distance

Max. Power Consumption (W)

SFP-10G-T-X

10Gbps

Cat6A/Cat7 or better

Up to 30 meters

2.5W

SFP-10G-T-X

100M/1Gbps

Cat5e/Cat6A/Cat7 or better

Up to 100 meters

1.0W

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My question, what is the actual difference between the two models?

Build quality is all I can think of.  If one looks at the equipment that supports SFP-GE-T (heavy duty or lifting) vs GLC-T ... draw your own conclusion.

inderdes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good one 

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

Well now a days there are more innovation happing and people are moving towards the 400 Gbps throughput where we found that two standards are there 

QSFP-DD and OSFP, For difference you can go through the below link 

http://www.routexp.com/2018/06/next-generation-sfps-with-400g-fiber.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: