cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Groups of clients are disconnecting from our AP's

crist
Level 1
Level 1

Our school has a 4402 WLC and thirty five 1142N AP's over 5 floors.  We've used this setup for about 5 years. Up until December 2013, we had a single SSID using AES/PSK encryption.  Never had any problems with client connections.  In December, we replaced all of our closet switches with new Cisco switches as well as fiber runs in the backbone.  Wifi hardware remains the same.  However, we broke out our SSIDs between STAFF and the 4 graduating classes.  Kept the same encryption for each SSID.

In January we started to see lots of simultaneous client drops for Lenovo laptops with internal 2.4ghz realtek chip cards.  A class of 40 kids would see 20-30 laptops disconnect at the same time. (yellow triangle in Windows 7 showing for the connection).  After maybe 5 minutes, connections returned. This was happening every day at almost the same time frame...in the morning.  In our troubleshooting efforts, we even removed the WLC and had clients connecting directly to an AP....still dropping and reconnecting.  We then tried newer AP's borrowed from a local vendor....no improvement.

After pulling our hair out spending countless hours with TAC, we think it's a problem with the encryption and the realtek chip.  So we bought several Buffalo 5ghz usb mini's and these seem to work much better.

But......now we're seeing a totally different class of clients, Dell latitude machines with dual band wifi cards, are experiencing group disconnects at the other end of the building!!!!

I'm looking for some fresh new ideas.....any thoughts???

Thanks!!!

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Lenovo laptops with internal 2.4ghz realtek chip cards

Can you try to go to the RealTek website and update the drivers to the wireless NIC?  There has been known issues with a lot (and I mean A LOT!) of wireless NIC cards and the way they behave.

Yep, tried that and no change.  Still get lots of students just dropping the connection.

I just saw on my 4402 WLC GUI, that I've got well over 100+ rogue APs around me....95% of them are using 2.4 and channels 1-6-11!!

I'm guessing this is a true sign on all of the interference on our 2.4ghz range!!

You will always get rogue APs.  One of my controllers has sniffed out >1300 rogue APs. 

Can you specify what firmware is your controllers running on?  Do you have DCA and TPC enabled to automatic?  

What is the exact model of the wireless NIC?

NIC Realtek - RTK - RTL8188CE

Attached is a screen shot with your requested information

What is the version of the driver your wireless NIC cards running? 

There are only 2 versions available.....we've tried BOTH and still no joy.

Disable 802.11n on client and see if you can see any improvements.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: