cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HA for Cat6509

frenzeus
Level 4
Level 4

A single 6509 core switch with redundant SupII engines (slot-1 & 2) each with MSFC2 cards installed. The SupII engines are both running CatOS 7.3(1).

I am looking at configuring the switch for HA, where the SupII engines will need to be set for system highavailability enable and the MSFC2 to be configured for MSFC redundancy with config-sync for both MSFC2 on each SupII engines.

Eg.

MSFC-Sup-15 (config)# redundancy

MSFC-Sup-15 (config-r)# high-availability

MSFC-Sup-15 (config-r-ha)# config-sync

My question is, how long would it take for both the MSFC2 (running in dual router mode) to have their startup/running-configurations synchronize and would it cause any downtime?

2nd question is by enabling the high-availability feature on the SupII engines, will the synchronizing of the protocol state database of both engines affect downtime as well? Or will it be transparent to end-users connected to it?

4 Replies 4

rwcrowe
Level 1
Level 1

The redundancy is transparent to the users, when configuring. As for when an MSFC or Supervisor module fails, it should take around 3 seconds (give or take) for the system to be operational.

So which means, even when i configure the msfc for it to sync in, it'll be totally transparent, am i right?

HI,

Yes it will be totally transparent.

thanks

Ookies.. thanks! will try it out and see how it goes! thanks again.