Views
Helpful
Replies

High Tempearture on Cisco Switch 2960S

Holmesz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone ,

Some of my customer's 2960s switch have System Temperature is Faulty message in show env all command.

Here is some information about this issue :

- Switch Model : WS-C2960S-48TS-L

- Software Version : 15.2(2)E4

- They have another switch are in same model , same version and same location but not face this issue.

What possible root cause that can make the switch face this issue? 

Which point I can check to analyze and fix this issue?

What effect that possible happen to the switch for this case?

Ps. I've attached picture of the switch status. Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

IT your switchs's fans working properly? The an ambient is adequately cooled?

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Hi Jaderson ,

In this pic that I've attached , it shows a fan status is OK.

And in the area that located this switch have another switch too , but the other switch don't face this issue.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The output show bit concern here as RED, is this continuous? then you need to act. then the recommended action is to prevent the switch from overheating. As a result, do not operate the switch in an area that exceeds the maximum recommended.

if you not action this will lead to failure,

here is the reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/77805-troubleshoot-3750.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

How can I prevent the switch from overheating , If the switch is operate in the area that not exceeds the maximum  recommended. Because the other switch in the same area is not face this issue.

Could it be possible that this switch face this issue because another root cause(software version or bug) ?

I do agree with you, but whatever showing the information based on the environment  and sensor

I also consider could be a bug for a minute, all the switches running in that area the same version?

can you post another one with show environment output?

is this industrial area?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

That is a firmware bug.
Update to E9.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for yor reply.

But could you provide me a reference that I can prove my customer for this solution.

Regards,

If this issue was happening to just one switch, then there's a possibility of a hardware issue.
If this is happening to more than one, then it's an IOS version.
Alternatively, raise a TAC Case.

This issue has happening to four switch (same model , same version) but they have many other switch that not face this issue.(same model , same version)

And unfortunately , the switch can't open case with TAC cisco.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: