Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I detour and get internet access thru Blackout Iran

Hello there 

Anything I can do/ prep so I can get internet access thru the internet blackout in Iran?

I knew there are some tricks, some people stay connected the whole time. 

I disparately need help on that

Thank you guys 

Little Nomad 

7 Replies 7

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

It would be useful to know how the blackout is being implemented to know how to circumvent it.

If it is a case of DNS redirection and blocking access to non-state DNS resolvers, then using a VPN connection which is terminated on a peer external to Iran and forwarding all traffic through it will be a good solution.

Obviously this won't work if the state has implemented some sort of 'great firewall' and blocked traffic to well know VPN peers.

cheers,

Seb.

if the state has implemented some sort of 'great firewall' and blocked traffic to well know VPN peers, what are the alternative solution and options for me? since i know some of the iranian use tricks to get online, just not too sure how can they do that, thanks anyway , I really appreciate a lot for your help

They possibly have contacts outside of Iran who can provide a VPN peer to connect to, using a public address that wouldn't be known to the state. Keep in mind it is feasible that the the ports and protocols used by IPSec VPNs may also be blocked. Maybe connecting to an SSL based VPN (ie, openVPN) using a common port such as TCP/443 would slip by undetected as it would look like normal HTTPS traffic.

Voice of America used to sponsor a proxy server whose IP address was changed as soon as the Iranian government would block it. Not sure if that is still around...

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You can't because Iranian ISP has blackholed all public traffic.
The only internet feed that is still available is the government one.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Theoretically you could look into dial in Internet access through a provider outside the country by using a PSTN connection first. It's probably not very feasible because you need the right equipment and a subscription with the intended provider; it probably won't be very fast either :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial-up_Internet_access

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

DonkeyDong26839
Level 1
Level 1
RfC 2549 has you covered. The government won't likely be intercepting those carriers.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: