cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I test the bandwidth on a DS-3??

jpoulos
Level 1
Level 1

I just had a DS-3 installed and I'm wondering if there is a way to make sure that I can utilize the full bandwidth. Has anybody done this before? Thanks in advance.

Jpoulos

7 Replies 7

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

Try

http://www.ba-hss.com

This site provides a VERY quick throughput test. Please DO NOT abuse the site.

jpoulos
Level 1
Level 1

I have used several Bandwidth monitoring web sites, and they all come back with 2 to 4megs(which is nice, but not even close to the 45megs I should be getting.) My manager gets upset when he downloads something and it does come across at 45 megs. Can somebody help me. I need to prove that we do have access to the full DS3. Thanks in advance.

Jpoulos

Check out NetIQ's Qcheck utility. You can specify all kinds of different scenarioes in which you wan to test your throughput. It is available at www.qcheck.net

-jason

Hi,

I understand your frustration. You need to have a network management software that it can give you full graphical information on your WAN links, should it be ATM, DS3, Frame-relay, ISDN. I use VitalNet version 8.0 from Lucent Technologies, not only gives you the detected full bandwidth but also graphical average utilization, pick utilization percentage, average errors percentage and so forth. Also, remember when your manager downloads a files from a website, he is probably not the only one downloading files from a busy website which link to the internet is perhaps a T1, you have to consider the fact that other internet users would be downloading files from that website as well. I guess the only way to see a 44 or 45megs download would be from a point-to-point DS3 Link, and your PC-NIC operating at a 100-full-duplex.

I don't have a DS3 internet link, but I do have it internally within the corporate network, and when I copy a 200megs file from the other side of the DS3 I can see at least 40mbps at my end, and that is during non-business hours when no one is using that link.

Here is Vital Net link website, you can request an evaluation 30days trial copy, if you need help on this you can contact me directly at

support@networks-consultant.com">

I'll be more than happy to assist you on the VitalNet install settings.

http://www.lucent.com/solutions/network_ops_w.html')

Jorge

Network Engineer

Jorge Rodriguez

Hi,

4MByte/s downloading speed is around 32Mbps, which is around 70% of

your DS3 access link. Take note of the value on your PC which indicate in byte per second and the link speed is bits per second.

cheers!

csyeo

psarantsev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Why are talking 'bout Internet passthrough. My opinion is - the best way is to test Point to Point DS-3 link itself... For example - send ICMP to other routers side with crashing parameters like this:

#ping

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address: 1.1.1.1

Repeat count [5]: 1000000

Datagram size [100]: 18020

Timeout in seconds [2]: 0

Extended commands [n]: n

But of course, be careful &^)