cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I determine SNMP MIBS for 801 ISDN router?

gary.cooper
Level 1
Level 1

I'm quite new to the 801 ISDN router and network management. I would like to be able to get information from my router about connections.

I am using HP TopTools as my network management software (it was free with some switches that I bought). I did a trawl through the Cisco web site to find out what MIBs I needed for my router, but I'm not sure that I found the information that I needed also, when I try to load some MIBs, it says that due to dependancies, I need to load others first. Is there an easy procedure for installing the MIBs that I need? (Where can I find the information?)

I did load some MIBs and am now getting the following messages:

NO FORMAT DEFINED from: <router-name> ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.26.2.0.2, demandNbrCallDetails )

NO FORMAT DEFINED from: <router-name> ( 1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.3.3, linkDown )

NO FORMAT DEFINED from: <router-name> ( 1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.4.4, linkUp )

(various order and repeats).

"NO FORMAT DEFINED" seems wrong, as though something's missing.

I guess the demandNbrCallDetails message is something to do with the call, but there's no data with it. My router is set to dial back. Is there anyway of determining what number tried to initiate the connection?

Thanks

Gary Cooper

9 Replies 9

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

You can use the CCO SNMP Object Navigator (http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Mibbrowser/unity.pl) to both translate and get the MIB dependencies of the MIBs/objetcs. demandNbrCallDetails is from CISCO-ISDN-MIB. Then use the option 'View & Download MIBs', select this MIB from the list to see/download this MIB as well as it's dependencies using the option View MIB dependencies and download MIB. linkUp/Down is from the CISCO-GENERAL-TRAPS-MIB which you can get use the above URL as well.

I tried using the hyperlink you gave, but I got the following error:

Error #403: Forbidden

URL: http://www.cisco.com/msgs/403.html

The server configurations do not allow you access to the contents of this directory without a specified file name.

Thanks,

Gary

Sorry it's been a while. I's only when I have problems that I return to thinking it would be a good idea to have access to all of the SNMP data, any way...

I've managed to download the MIBs relevent to my version of IOS & platform (801), but the problem is that whatever I try to install, there seems to be dependancies and I cant work out which order I need to install the mibs in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary

Here is a link which should help: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/mibcompilers.html

Note: you absolutely must load the SNMPv2-SMI.my SNMPv2-TC.my MIBs as many other MIBs will be dependent upon these (they contain the basic tree structure and textual conventions) - the above link has further information, see sub-heading 'Load Ordering'

Hope this helps

When I try to load most of the MIBs listed in the document that you reference, I get:

"This MIB module does not contain trap definitions"

BTW, I'm using HP TopTools 5.6

Thanks,

Gary

I would guess that the traps are probably contained within MIBs contained lower down the Object Tree in which case this message is informational i.e. traps are contained lower down the Object Tree within, for example, the CISCO-ISDN-MIB which contains the object which you mentioned in your original post ...

You can view this MIB through: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Mibbrowser/mibinfo.pl?mn=CISCO-ISDN-MIB

Let me know how you get on

When I got the previous message, it stopped it from loading the MIB.

Also, the above link prompts me for a username & password (which I don't have).

Thanks,

Gary

Sorry Gary, I am not familiar with this HP product and I haven't seen this error message before. If you have loaded the MIBs as described in the document and you still experience problems then it could be that there is a limitation with the HP product ... Are you certain this product supports Cisco devices as well as HP switches ?

Also, the link which I sent to you in my last post requires a CCO login, or you may be able to view the MIB without a login through: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/v2

Cheers