cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How does a Bank's network work?

jewedo828417539
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. I'm working in a private-sector bank in India. I have this question in my mind that how a bank's network connects the hosts to its data centre via MPLS or any other means. The 'branches' of the bank are having their own cisco routers at their office which are connected to network using MPLS technology. My question is, how does reliable communication happen between the data centre and the 'branches' as the traffic is sent from the router to regular service providers (like BSNL or Reliance or Airtel in India) through OFC or RJ11 cables and not through any dedicated links. Does the entire intranet of the bank have any router-to-router VPN? Can anybody suggest?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- Basically VPN-links will offer that functionality. But per-site firewalls may harden as to which services are allowed between the different offices.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Here are a few examples resulting from the Internet's searching powers :

https://www.safesystems.com/blog/2016/02/three-different-approaches-to-managing-your-banks-wan/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285537089_Design_and_Simulation_of_a_Banking_Network_System

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for the help!

I went though the links shared by you but I still just wonder how an intranetwork is created in the internet for communicating between two branch offices..

There are multiple potential solutions for providing communication between sites. Some organizations (and I believe some banks) trust that an MPLS implementation with a vendor will keep their traffic isolated from other traffic and is safe. If you believe that the communication needs to be more secure then you probably want something that will encrypt the traffic. Solutions like DMVPN or GETVPN might be used. And of course solutions like VTI tunnels or traditional GRE with IPSEC tunnels provide communication that is encrypted.

HTH

Rick

- Basically VPN-links will offer that functionality. But per-site firewalls may harden as to which services are allowed between the different offices.

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco