cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to control Multicast traffic Cat3550 SMI

Jose Robles
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Catalyst 3550 with SMI ios. We have video camaras and monitors with set top boxes using multicast streams between them working fine in this switch but since it is default, multicast traffic is propagated to all ports in the switch. We tried to use IGMP snooping querier in the switch 6509 where this vlan is routed to control multicast traffic but the streams stopped working. When we take the cable which is the trunk to the 6509 off it starts working again. Any suggestions?

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the 6509 has an MSFC, why don't you enable multicast routing and PIM under the Layer 3 VLAN interface in question?

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/38.html

Because I don't need to route this multicasts. They are used only on this vlan. I readed that in this cases you use IGMP snooping querier in the interface vlan.

You will not be "routing" multicast per se, by just enabling multicast routing on an MSFC. If you just enable PIM on one interface you will not be routing it to other VLANs

I understand. Just that I read that in this cases where you are not routing the multicasts, instead of configuring PIM etc... you just configure the interface with the snooping querier command. I'll have to try with PIM instead. But this will not make the same effect? PIM and igmp snooping querier?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: