cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Factory Reset a Cisco 6160

nicweaver
Level 1
Level 1

I can't figure this out and there isn't much documentation on the subject online. The reset button just resets the device even after holding it for 10+ seconds and there is nothing in the CLI.

5 Replies 5

Ryan Gadwood
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nick,

I did some research and came across this post about the 6120 which I am hoping is similar to your 6160. It looks like there is a write erase command you could use assuming you have CLI access.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2007033

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but hope this helps somewhat. Will continue to do some digging to see if I can find anything in the manuals.

Ryan

Thanks for looking into it but i don't have a write erase option in the CLI. This is a very old device, 10+ years, and I'm not sure it has the same options as newer Cisco devices. I also don't know the enable password which severely limits my options. I've spent 2 or 3 entire work days searching for any information about old Cisco DSLAMs and I can't find anything that pertains to me. If you get lucky and find anything please let me know.

Thanks again.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Nick Weaver wrote:

I can't figure this out and there isn't much documentation on the subject online. The reset button just resets the device even after holding it for 10+ seconds and there is nothing in the CLI.

If you have access to the CLI with appropriate permissions, you could do "write erase" or "erase startup-config" - they look like a standard IOS interface, so one of those should work.

Cheers.

We have access to the CLI but don't have permissions because we don't know the enable password since we bought the device from another company. I only have the entry level commands and there are no write or erase commands.

Nick Weaver wrote:

We have access to the CLI but don't have permissions because we don't know the enable password since we bought the device from another company. I only have the entry level commands and there are no write or erase commands.

Password recovery procedures located here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps298/products_password_recovery09186a0080094775.shtml

Note that this WILL be a disruptive process, so if the device is in production, schedule downtime accordingly.

Cheers

please rate helpful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: