Helpful
Replies

how to get full utilization?

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi all,

I have two issues.

1. We are an ISP having 5 diff backbone carriers running BGP with all of them. And i want to get full utilization of my backbone carriers, i have already optimized by using route-maps and prefix lists. Any other tips to get full utilization of all carriers?

2. One of my customers is having 1Mbps leased line. He wants 500Kbps bandwidth for a single session from a single client. Eventhough it depends on several things, how to give him max bandwidth for a single session?

Thanks in advance...

Regards...

--Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok
1 Reply 1

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

1) With the quantity of carriers you have, BGP is going to provide only a rough system of load balancing. You will have to tweak which prefixes you announce to which providers in order to balance inbound traffic. Outbound traffic will likely take care of itself, but you can do some selective filtering if trafffic isn't going where you want it to go.

In order to help more, you'd have to post more details about what specific traffic isn't going where you want it, if any.

2) Consider class-based weighted fair queueing (CBWFQ) on your customer's link. Among other things, it allows you to define a traffic class and then assign a reserved quantity of bandwidth for that class. It should fulfull your requirement.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120t/120t5/cbwfq.htm