Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP between three routers

connie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have three routers (2 x 3550 EMI and 1 x RSM). I want to run HSRP between all three of them - for load balancing.

HSRP has been configured to run between the one 3550 and the RSM. When I installed the second 3550, it only shows that all its VLANs are in a listening state.

How do I go about setting up HSRP between all three these routers?

Regards

6 Replies 6

mshickell
Level 1
Level 1

One will be active, one standby and the lowest priority device will just sit in listening mode. A sh standby should confirm that it's still seeing and understanding the HSRP hellos.

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

It all depend what you want to do - do you want all three to be active forwarding traffic? If so you will need three HSRP groups and adjust the priorities such that each is active for a different group.

Thanks guys!

Yes, I want all three routers to forward traffic - each routing a few VLANs. The new 3550 is configured to have the lowest priorities (ie all VLANs in standby), but whan I do a "show standby brief" , all VLANs are listening.

One the RSM and other 3550, the VLANs all have a priority between 100 and 120 (depending on which is the active router), and the new 3550 has all its VLANs on priority 90.

Cheers!

So just go to the new 3550 config and increase the priorities for VLANs you want to be routed through it.

Regards,

Milan

philew
Level 4
Level 4

You may want to look into a new feature called Gateway Load Balancing Protocol.

Being that this in in 12.2(14) it may not be available in the platforms you are using.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00801541c8.html

Intresting Link....did not know about GLBP...good to know!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: