cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP FAILOVER

fjahan
Level 1
Level 1

HSRP is running on two 6509 trunked together, and they are connected to two 3640 routers directly.

now if I unplug the calbe from the 3640 router, the HSRP FAILS OVER successfully, while as if I shut the port of the 3640 router (by shut command), then the 6509 doesnt failover. y so??

please clarify

2 Replies 2

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

Now are you running HSRP on MSFC on the cat6k or between 3600's. I am going to assume that you are doing between two 3640 routers.

You can do debug standby on the router when you have problem. HSRP will not failover if it receives hello from the active router. So if you shutdown, it should failover. Does the show port on switch shows connected. are you sure you are shutting down the correct port. What the show standby tell you on both routers.

Can you repost with exact topo. like config on interface on 3640 routers.

Hi,

thanks for your mail.

Ok let me explain the exact setup:

HSRP is running on MSFC's in Cat 6509 and I got a link from them directly into my 3640 routers as follows:

Trunk

sw1-------------sw2

| hsrp VIP |

| |

| |

r1 r2

so when sw1 is primary, the traffic flows through r1 and if I unplug the cable from r1, then hsrp fails over from sw1 to sw2 and traffic flows from sw2 through r2, no issues.

but when sw1 is pri and traffic is flowing through r1, and if i shut the port on r1 (instead of removing the cable), the failover doesnt take place. still sw1 is primary and sw2 as sec, and connectivity is lost. debug shows that sw1 is still primary and hello messages are being exchanged.

What i understand from that is, since hsrp is running in msfc, so hellows are exchanged through trunk, and not through my routers, so when i shut the port on router, the corresponding port on the sw1 doesnt go down and still the hello messages are being exchanged through the msfc trunk and hence hsrp doesnt failover.

and if i take out the cable from router r1 then the corresponding port on the sw1 goes down and hence fails over.

am I right, please suggest.

Thanks and advance