Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP, wan routing and cabling questions

rsd1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am setting up HSRP on 2 * 2600 routers and have a couple of questions.

The site at present has 2 leased lines and a seperate router with a single wic-1t for each link. I am looking to have 2 * wic1-t in the back of each router and to set up hsrp for the site.

I have set up and tested hsrp for the f0/0 interfaces and this works well, my question is regarding the wan interfaces. Do I have to have different ip's for each wan interface that connects to the same location? I am asssuming this because if the standby router takes over will traffic entering the site get confused on the serial interface because the interace MAC (does it have one ?) has changed ?

I may be way off here but my basic question is should these 2 routers ( active and standby ) have the same ip set up for the wan interfaces ?

Also, as I am trying to split a signal from the leased line NTU and send it to 2 seperate routers does anyone know where I can buy the appropriate cable to do this, if it is possible or where I can find a cable schedule to build it myself?

many thanks

Richard

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I read your question correctly you are wanting to try to split the signal from the leased line and send it to both routers. This is problematic. Probably the best you can do if you really want both routers to be able to access the same leased line is some kind of A/B switch which will connect to the leased line and will allow you to select connection to either RtrA or RtrB. And I am not sure that this is a good idea, since it will introduce the need for manual intervention and I am guessing that you would prefer automated response to problems.

From the prospect of recovering from failures in an automated fashion, I think that HSRP on both routers with the track feature is the ideal solution. It avoids any single point of failure and responds automatically to failure of either the LAN interface or to failure of the WAN interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

rpgccie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

the most basic concept of HSRP is it needs a broadcast network.

ie. It needs a Lan environment or some other media where broadcasts are permitted , think about how HSRP works , It does by sending keepalives to the particular Standby ip every x seconds.

So u can set it up on eth(x) and fa(x) but not S(x)

post back if you have any questions.

The best you can do for a serial line is use some sort of failure recovery using LinkState protocols like EIGRP which is very fast.