cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-16A and screen rolling in console sessions

Scott Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Strange issue that's started happening recently with a 2901 router with an HWIC-16A module that we're using for a terminal server.  Recently, we've started seeing issues when we console into a device where the screen just rolls for about 5 minutes and eventually just stops.  While it rolls, it looks like it is trying to enter commands of some sort, but you can't see what it's trying to do...has anyone seen something like this before and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks all

SJ           

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jones,
1. Please check ur console cable and try with other new console cable .
2. Check the baud rate and also try multiple speed settings.( it may create a problem due to change in register value of router)
3. Connect with correct COM port.

Hope it helps.
Regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Sandeep--appreciate the response.  I had also tried this to a couple of other devices on different cables, but the same HWIC card and i keep getting the same result...i'm starting to suspect a bad HWIC card honestly...the way we've got it setup is with host names mapped to the port numbers, so that there's no guesswork on the part of myself and the other engineers when we need to use the terminal server...looking like i'll have to open a TAC case.  Once i get an answer from them, i'll post it here as a follow-up.

terry.Haebich
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scott,

Any chance of seeing a copy of the terminal server part of the configuration used.

I have site where we a replacing an old IBM terminal server which mainly passes outbound messages from servers on the LAN to RS232 devices but also has one RS232 port which passes an inbound telnet session to a server on the LAN (using the telnet -e feature)

With our configured terminal server configured 2901, the outbound messages (from servers on the LAN to remote devices via the RS232 port) work fine but the one inbound telnet -e session doesn't arrive at the server on the LAN network.

Thanks,

Terry

Hey Terry--send me your email address (scott.jones@orrick.com), and i'll get a scrubbed copy of the config to you. 

Thanks

SJ