Views
Helpful
Replies

I gotta Problem.

a.ford
Level 1
Level 1

Problem:

I just purchased a 4500 router (no problem there). However, somebody put 2600 IOS in the flash.

Another Problem:

The router has a password set so I can't even boot from ROM, which has the correct IOS (4500). In other words I can't go into enable mode.

One problem stops the other.

Any suggestions "ANYBODY"

Shug

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if it says that flash in read only mode, it looks like someone has not only installed the wrong flash image, but also installed some non supported flash simms

View solution in original post

38 Replies 38

olorunloba
Level 5
Level 5

Not sure what you mean that you can not boot from ROM, because you can not enter enable mode in ROM Monitor mode. What I think you should do is to enter ROM Monitor mode, and use xmodem to copy the IOS image to the flash, then reboot.

I can't get xmodem from rommon

a.ford
Level 1
Level 1

ok, let me see if I can futher explain. I"ve got a 4500 router thats been flashed with 2600 IOS. There is a password set that I don't know. After reading through the CISCO site, The recommedation is to boot from ROM. However to boot from ROM to reflash the router I need the password (of which I don't have).

Ive never seen a 4500 but this works on the 2600/3600s. Press escape while the router is powering up, it should go into rommon mode.

I can get to rommon mode with no problem. Its what to do after. I can't load new main image or flash image because I don't have the password. And to recover the password, i need to boot from flash (of which I can't) due to the 2600 image being on a 4500 router.

If you are booted to rommon the password is irrelvent. This is how you get around lost passwords. if its asking for a password you are not in rommon.

in rommon see if the tftpdnld command exists. Dont use the ? just try it. If it does find the doc on cco for it by searching on that name. Another doc I found did not identify the router but was linked to by a 4500M page and said you have to get a flash pcmcia loaded on another router to use on this one. Is your flash pcmcia?

I don't have the option to change the baud rate to 115200, just 9600

Well, lets take it one by one. If you have the wrong IOS on the router, I expect the router to attempt to boot and then give an error message stating that the image file is not right. After this, it should restart, seems like it is attempting to boot, then go into rom monitor mode.

If it does not goes into rom monitor mode, after the first two lines of booting, (actually while it is trying to load the image file, either while decompressing, or just before decompressing) try hitting the ctrl and break key, that should take it also into rom monitor.

Please note that you need to be connected to the router via the console to do the above.

From the rom monitor, you will have a prompt such as

rommon 1 >

use the xmodem command to copy the right image to file.

Check the following link for how to copy image from ROM Monitor mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_module_installation_guide_chapter09186a00800ead70.html

Use confreg to change the baud rate. You will need to chnage your hyperterminal settings after you change the baud rate. If you do not change the baud rate and leave it at the default speed, your download will take ages.

rommon 2 > confreg

Configuration Summary

enabled are:

break/abort has effect

console baud: 9600

boot: the ROM Monitor

do you wish to change the configuration? y/n [n]: y

enable "diagnostic mode"? y/n [n]:

enable "use net in IP bcast address"? y/n [n]:

enable "load rom after netboot fails"? y/n [n]:

enable "use all zero broadcast"? y/n [n]:

disable "break/abort has effect"? y/n [n]:

enable "ignore system config info"? y/n [n]:

change console baud rate? y/n [n]: y

enter rate: 0 = 9600, 1 = 4800, 2 = 1200, 3 = 2400 [0]: 115

*** line too large ***

change the boot characteristics? y/n [n]:

System Bootstrap, Version 5.3(16) [richardd 16], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1996 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C4500 processor with 32768 Kbytes of main memory

rommon 1 > xmodem -cy c4500-js-mz.12-7b

monitor: command "xmodem" not found

rommon 2 >

I guess that the console of that router can not do more 9600. Use that speed then and have patience. You might try flashing a small size image file, and then using either ftp or tftp download after you have gotten the router working back. The image transfer over tftp or ftp is much faster (in seconds) than the console (which might take hours with your 9600 speed).

I think you really have a old version of the boostrap, that is why the command is not there. Can you use the help command to list the available commands. Post this and lets see.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco