Helpful
Replies

I need help for configure router by terminal access server

shinji7800
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I really need help

I don't find a way to configure a router by file trough a terminal access server (C2901 + HWIC-16A). 

I need this for check syntaxe and validate configuration on my lab before deploying it on my exploitation network.

I use putty for connection with reverse telnet/ssh I presume (for exemple  I use  1.1.1.1 port 2003 for "direct access" to my router with 1.1.1.1 the interface of my Terminal Server)

I have tried to tranfering txt file on the router flash, from my computer or from the Terminal Server but it does'nt works

I have tried to copy/paste configuration on CLI of the router but it doesn't works, because putty send to quickly commands lines to the router (even if I tried to change baud speed 115200)

have you some advices ? because I found nothing about this issue on internet and the cisco support forum

thanks a lot 

best regards 

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

I'm assuming you have solid connectivity to the router.

For sending a large quantity of text using a terminal emulator try adding the equivalent of  2 carriage returns and a line feed at the end of each line. you may need to dig though putty to figure out how to delay the sending of the next line of text.

Hello, thanks a lot for answering !

If I understand well (I'm french), yes I have solid connectivity. 

A computer (with terraterm and putty) directly connected with a RJ45 at the terminal access server on his Gi0/0. Finally all routers and swichtes of my lab are connected at my terminal access server with octal async cable. For connecting at each device I establish a "direct" telnet/ssh connection like this <IP-Gi0/0>:<Port 2000+the line number>

for example : 192.168.0.1:2003 for the first line of the first slot (it works very well)

Again if I understand well, you ask me to test if two CRLF at the end of each line changes something ? OK :) I will try it tomorrow.

for answering  at your advice (finding a way to add delay between each line) unfortunately, I don't find one.

At the beginning, I thought that I could configure the terminal server for delaying command line. Because for me, I belived it was the purpose of a terminal server. When I understood that it was not possible to delaying from the terminal access, I tried to find another way. 

transferring config-file trough line connection (I don't find a way) 

with terraterm is possible only if I use COM/serial port, I can add delay between each char and each line

with putty I don't find anything 

anyway If you had advises to maybe change habit, explain how a terminal server must be use in a lab, for configuring it, testing configuration and syntax before deploying it on exploited network ...

I listening carefully, because I getting a bit desperate :D, no one seems to have the same issue :/  

In secureCRT ( the program i use) there is a send delay option.

It might be worth experimenting with changing that value.

I used SecureCRT  transfer function of send ascii  and could not replicate your particular issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: