Helpful
Replies

I need help with Cisco IFS

DaytonAdmin
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Background Information:

I am a network engineer and I manage a small business network. The network consists of a couple of 3750G access switches and 2 6503-E switches (one of these also serves as an access layer switch). I am looking to upgrade my IOS on my external facing switch so that I can use a 16 port 10Gbe ethernet module. In this switch, I have a SUP-720 3B in slot 1, a 16 fiber port 10Gbe ethernet moduld in slot 2 (not online yet), and a 48 copper port 1Gbe ethernet module. In the SUP-720, I have one CompactFlash card in disk0.

This is where I need help:

Like I said, I'm trying to upgrade my IOS software in order to support my new ethernet line card. I know that the images are stored in flash memory. However the IFS on my switch seems to be confusing. He is a print out of the cd ? command:

bootflash:

cns:

const_nvram:

dfc#3-bootflash:

disk0:

disk1:

flexwan-fpd:

null:

nvram:

sup-bootdisk:

sup-bootflash:

sup-image:

sup-microcode:

syslog:

system:

tar:

tmpsys:

<cr>

Can someone please tell me what all of these directories are used for???? I'm not sure where to store the IOS image. When I change directories to sup-bootflash: it looks like it has the same contents as sup-bootdisk. Also, when I list the contents in disk0:, sup-bootflash shows up in there. Is this just a soft link to that directory? I'm really confused and would like to know what all of these directories are used for. Does anyone know of a good white paper that explains the function of these directories?

Thanks,

Manny

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Manny

I am not prepared to try to explain all the directories, which is a pretty good question. But I can answer the most important of your questions. Put the new image into sup-bootflash.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick