cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Identify IP Address from a Switch Port

loutoffi63
Level 1
Level 1

Environment: Catalyst 6513 at the core, dozens of 2900's and 3300's series switches and lots of VLAN definitions.

Problem: Several devices have mysteriously stopped communicating on the network. The suspicion is that the port VLAN's were changed.

Question: Can an IP Address be extracted from a device on a specified switch port? For example, is there a command to look at port 12 on switch 172.18.110.165 and identify the (static) IP Address the device plugged into that port is using.

Notes: There is no access to the router function of the 6513. The IP Address is the only piece of information I have.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

krozier
Level 1
Level 1

Solarwinds has tool called Switchport Mapper. It what I use when I want to know what devices are plugged into the switches. It basically grabs the bridging table and then correlates the MAC address table to ARP cache. It would be similar to executing "show mac-address" and then "show ip arp" on a L3 IOS switch (our 6513 is using MFC2 module.)

Hope this helpds.

Kersean Rozier

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

georg.tresselt
Level 1
Level 1

Campus Manager->User Tracking should give your answer.

krozier
Level 1
Level 1

Solarwinds has tool called Switchport Mapper. It what I use when I want to know what devices are plugged into the switches. It basically grabs the bridging table and then correlates the MAC address table to ARP cache. It would be similar to executing "show mac-address" and then "show ip arp" on a L3 IOS switch (our 6513 is using MFC2 module.)

Hope this helpds.

Kersean Rozier

loutoffi63
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry if this reply is posted more than once.

Thank you Georg and Kersean for your replies. Campus Manager->User Tracking did provide the information I needed, but it was cumbersome. The SolarWinds SwitchPort Mapper tool should have worked, but I could not get the MAC addresses of the devices plugged into the switch ports (no access to router, hence no ARP table).

I was looking for a way to extract the IP Address information directly from the affected switch, but CiscoWorks gave provided it as well.

Thanks again for you input.