cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

In need of help connecting DC powered Juniper router to AC Power

MustangTim
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All.  I know this is a Cisco forum but hear me out...

I am a brand new Cisco/Juniper user.  I am attempting to learn IOS/JUNOS so I can take my certification tests.  I purchased a number of Cisco and Juniper equipment on eBay.  They all work great except the Juniper J2300BASE-2T1-DC router.  When I bought it I stupidly didn't realize that it did not have an AC power connection to plug in at my house.

Because I am using this as a home lab I wont have access to a DC connection.  What are my options for connecting this to the regular AC power in my home?  I really know nothing about AC/DC power and assume there is some kind of DC->AC power adapter that can convert but Google searches have come up with nothing.

Does anyone have any options for me to use this router in my home?

Thanks all!!!

4 Replies 4

turnera
Level 1
Level 1

Find out what the volt/amperage rating is on the router and then do a search at places like Radio Shack or Ham Radio Outlet for power supplies that will work within that amp rating.

ASTRON is a company that makes a number of DC power supplies with a wide range of volt/amp ratings. You should be able to find one to fit your needs.

Can you just swap out the power supply like that?  These look to be flex atx power supplies. Can I just take out the dc power supply and swap it with an ac?  Is it that simple?

Not knowing the physical makeup of what you have in front of you, I really cannot give you a good answer. However, if the power supply requires a stout dc feed, then ASTRON may have what you are looking for.

As for being able to swap power supplies, it sounds doable in principle but Juniper is gonna have to be your go to place for that answer.

MustangTim
Level 1
Level 1

If anyone runs into this issue in the future I can officially confirm that you can just swap out the DC power supply for an AC.  I ran to Microcenter after work and picked up a 300w FlexATX AC Power supply which fit perfectly into the router.  Plugged it in and all is working great!