cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

inexpensive IP managed switch/hub/whatever ?

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have some very small unmanned remote sites with control type equipment, and they currently have unmanaged hubs for the site 'network'. We have occasionally had problems and wished for a hub or switch that has some management capabilities, minimally to reply to echo requests, perhaps up to an SNMP managed device. The boss says that the 2950 is a bit too expensive, and I say these remote sites are too small for them anyway (some are just electrical enclosures at the side of the road). Anybody got any good ideas for me ? A small 8 port managed hub or switch that you like ? Please let me know what products you would consider for this, I'll buy you a coffee next time you're in Saskatoon !

I've looked through the Linksys line, and at 3COM but their managed devices seem to start at 16 ports of rackmounted interfaces. Ideally we can find a 5 or 8 port standalone device.

Best Regards, and Thanks for ANY suggestions,

Dave

3 Replies 3

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dave,

I think the Catalyst Express 500 fits the bill. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_qanda_item0900aecd80322b09.shtml

However, as they have a 1RU size, it may be too big, although cheap.

The 2940 switches are the smallest managed switch we sell. They may be of interest as well.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5213/index.html

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

Ditto. I think the 2940 fits the bill. You can get them for about $550 + shippping

s.conway
Level 1
Level 1

Check out the SMC device www.CDW.com

SMC TigerSwitch 10/100 Standalone 8-port 10/100 Managed Switch

8-port 10/100BASE-TX Fast Ethernet managed switch

MFG#: SMC6708L2 $242.99

I've only used the SMC stuff at home, never had any trouble with it. It seems to be what you're looking for though.

Sean