Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing a 4507R+E from scratch

caromay02
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,
I have a LAN made of Juniper EX4200 (62 in several chassis)
The core is a chassis made of 8 EX4200 acting as router linking to a FW and the other Juniper switches -(IDFs)

I am adding Cisco 2960X (40 more) as IDFs, but now I need to implement Cisco 4507 as the core solution.

The IT manager asked me time and cost. I have no idea how much it will take to migrate/design a new LAN. I mean, Juniper core has 3000 lines, I am not going to "translate" 3000 lines into Cisco language, so I'll try to design the core from scratch.

The question:

How do I calculate the time to get a Cisco 4507R+E working replacing the Juniper Core?
I need no precision but an estimated. Let's say "two months working two people configuring it 4 hours per day"

Any idea how to calculate that?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yours is a very hard question to address because don't fully understand what your final configuration will need nor understand how well you know how to configure Cisco devices.

Starting with a racked and connected 4507, in my current environment, it would take me between 4 to 16 business hours to fully configure it for production.  However, I work with predefined templates, which only require I "fill in" things like IP assignments.  (Much of my noted time would actually be involved with the "paperwork" for a new 4500 deployment.)

Starting from scratch, I could probably provide a "working" 4507 in 4 to 24 hours, but it might take weeks to work through all the other configuration options.  Again, much depends on your configuration needs.

To just give you an tip of the iceberg view, if you're going to do L2 between your 4507 and Junipers, you have issues dealing with VLAN1 and STP between the vendors.  Or, also if doing L2, you have the option of running some flavor of VTP between all your Cisco devices (if they have Cisco connections), but not with your Juniper devices.  Or, Cisco, by default, does CDP and Juniper does LLDP, although the later Cisco platforms can enable support for LLDP.

You might want to retain a network consultant, familiar with both Cisco and Juniper, to help you work through the configuration options.  Such a consultant, with more detailed knowledge, should be better able to estimate the amount of work needed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yours is a very hard question to address because don't fully understand what your final configuration will need nor understand how well you know how to configure Cisco devices.

Starting with a racked and connected 4507, in my current environment, it would take me between 4 to 16 business hours to fully configure it for production.  However, I work with predefined templates, which only require I "fill in" things like IP assignments.  (Much of my noted time would actually be involved with the "paperwork" for a new 4500 deployment.)

Starting from scratch, I could probably provide a "working" 4507 in 4 to 24 hours, but it might take weeks to work through all the other configuration options.  Again, much depends on your configuration needs.

To just give you an tip of the iceberg view, if you're going to do L2 between your 4507 and Junipers, you have issues dealing with VLAN1 and STP between the vendors.  Or, also if doing L2, you have the option of running some flavor of VTP between all your Cisco devices (if they have Cisco connections), but not with your Juniper devices.  Or, Cisco, by default, does CDP and Juniper does LLDP, although the later Cisco platforms can enable support for LLDP.

You might want to retain a network consultant, familiar with both Cisco and Juniper, to help you work through the configuration options.  Such a consultant, with more detailed knowledge, should be better able to estimate the amount of work needed.

Thanks Joseph,

Yes, I DO have serious issues regarding V

LAN1 Cisco side and VLAN 0 Juniper side, you do not ant to know how I am fighting to get spanning tree working !! A real pain in the ...

I 've been working these days and finally got an approach.

It' ll take us between 112 and 160 hours to get things done.

This includes 60 sw Juniper, 20 sw cisco 2960X, the 4507 acting as core and VoIP issues.

I hope this works.

We'll get some external help from some CCIE, CCNP and so in order to get this working.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: