cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intel NIC Team requires STP off?

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Has anybody installed Gigabit Etherchannel between Cat6000 running CatOS and a server with two Intel Pro/1000 MT NIC cards?

I'm planning to do so, but reading the Intel on-line help I noticed:

"NOTE: Static Link Aggregation teaming requires that the switch or router be set up for Static Link Aggregation teaming and that the spanning tree protocol is turned off."

and

"IEEE 802.3ad teaming requires that the switch be set up for IEEE 802.3ad (link aggregation) teaming and that spanning tree protocol is turned off."

But CatOS 7.1 is able to disable STP only per VLAN, not per port!!!

I will definitely NOT disable STP in my network.

(Bpdu-filter might be sufficient in later CatOS version?)

Does anybody has any experience with Intel NIC teaming to Catalyst?

Thanks,

Milan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I was refering to the initial q 'experience with intel teaming'.

By enabling a channel, the switch sees the channel as a single port, and therefore portfast and spanning-tree can be left on.

Hope this clarifies.

paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

poggs
Level 1
Level 1

You can 'disable' STP on a port-by-port basis by enable spanning-tree portfast.

I've never had STP running on any server-facing port and I've run Fast EtherChannel on Intel NICs fine.

Thanks for quick reply.

But PortFast doesn't disable STP.

It just moves port to forwarding without listening and learning phase.

What do you exactly mean by "I've never had STP running on any server-facing port"?

There was always PortFast enabled?

Could you please provide your Ehterchannel configuration details?

LACP or PAGP or simply ON?

And the Team mode on the NICs?

I've got no chance for testing - the only Gbit module is in my production switch and I can't risk any problems on it.

Thanks,

Milan

paupot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If the switch is not configured for etherchannel, it will see the same mac address on two different ports. Using mls f.e. it will report - too many moves, disabling mls for 5 seconds.

You will need to create an ethernet channel so the switch will 'see' the two ports as one - and the mac-adress will only be seen from a 'single' port.

By creating a channel, use the channel=on since the switch cannot negotiate with the teaming adapter.

I have enabled a bonding interface on a debian machine using two intel adapters to fast etherchannel which worked perfectly.

hth

paul

ppolvinale
Level 1
Level 1

I believe this is referring to enabling portfast on the switchport.

I was refering to the initial q 'experience with intel teaming'.

By enabling a channel, the switch sees the channel as a single port, and therefore portfast and spanning-tree can be left on.

Hope this clarifies.

paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: