Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet disconnect when I plug the cable to router or switch

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have got my laptop Dell Latitiude D600,,Pentuim M, it comes with built in wireless card and Normal ethernet card,,I can access internet via built in wireless card with no problem,,,If I want to use my laptop as normal workstation in the cisco Lab for any scenario,obviously I will connect cable to the normal ethernet and other side of cable to a router or a switch ,,Then after while about i minutes ,I can not access internet via wireless card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!very strange

Any clue about this case?

6 Replies 6

lcockcroft
Level 1
Level 1

This is probably becuase you have a default gateway configured on both the wireless and wired network. Take a look at the routing table on the PC using the

"route print" command. Then use the route command to add or remove routes or add a higher metric to an existing route.

Lance

Yes, you are right I have two default gateway, can't I acess the internet (via wireless) while I am using it as workstation connect to the router ?

default gateway for wireless (internet) is 10.x.x.x

and default gateway for wired is 172.16.x.x.

command route print from DOS prompt?Am I right?

Now you want to add metric in the configuration of router or add metric in configuration of PC?with router I know how to do it,with PC I am pretty sure it will be similar to router , but I do not know the exact syntax

Any other help?

Hi,

If you do a

Why do I need to add route?Is it for float issue?

I'm not entirely clear what Lance had in mind here; I just posted about the tools to achieve the route add. I'm not very confident about the behaviour of Micro$oft hosts. I think we had better take a step back, and take an overview.

I would be interested to see the results of netstat -r with the wireless card working correctly, and then again after you have connected the wired network and lost Internet connectivity. Comparing the two should show us what has happened, and we can work out the behaviour of the PC from first principles.

Clearly what is happening is that it is preferring the wired default gateway over the wireless, but I don't know why. I think the netstat -r will tell us. Then we can fiddle with the routes to work around the machine's preference.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: