Views
Helpful
Replies

Invisible Bad subcommand when upgrading to 12.3(2)T1

dosary
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I tried to upgrade a 7500 router to IOS 12.3(2)T1 from 12.2, but I get this error when I type: "show running"

{

*Oct 12 10:22:50: %PARSER-3-BADSUBCMD: Unrecognized subcommand 0 in interface command 'media-type'

}

I get 3 lines of this error. I have 3 FastEthernet interfaces on this router, so I thought it must be the configuration for those cards.

So when I go:

{

riy-c2#sh run interface FastEthernet1/0/0

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 73 bytes

!

interface FastEthernet1/0/0

no ip address

shutdown

full-duplex

end

riy-c2#

*Oct 12 10:32:19: %PARSER-3-BADSUBCMD: Unrecognized subcommand 0 in interface command 'media-type'

}

I don't know why it would say bad subcommand since there isn't much in the interface configuration.

Does anybody know what could be the problem? Solution?

regards,

-Osama I. Dosary

8 Replies 8

rais
Level 7
Level 7

Try typing in 'no media-type' under your interfaces.

You can also try copying configuration to a TFTP server, erasing the config and copying it back to the router, if possible.

Hope this helps.

I've tried 'no media-type' and 'media-type rj45' both have no effect.

I've also tried copying to the tftp server, erasing config, then copying back from the tftp server.

But with no luck.

I appreciate the advise, though.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

j.jansen
Level 1
Level 1

What are the commands in the startup-config ?

The same as the running-config.

Hello,

what is the output of the show parser modes command ? The interface privilege level should be TRUE, you might want to check if this looks ok.

Regards,

Georg

This is part of the output of the "show parser modes" command:

Parser modes:

Name Prompt Top Alias Privilege

configure config 0x42D28600 TRUE TRUE

interface config-if 0x42D25A94 TRUE TRUE

interface config-if-range 0x42D25A94 TRUE TRUE

subinterface config-subif 0x42D25A94 TRUE FALSE

They are all TRUE, except for subinterface. But there are no subinterfaces on this interface.

Hello,

parser looks ok indeed. Have you tried to clear the parser cache with the command clear parser cache ?

Regards,

Georg

I tried clearing the parser cache, but nothing changed.

I also tried erasing the startup configuration then reloading, then setting the system to boot from IOS-12.3.2T1, then reloading again.

Yet when I go: "show running" I still get the error:

"%PARSER-3-BADSUBCMD: Unrecognized subcommand 0 in interface command 'media-type'"

I'm guessing that the new IOS caused some sort of incompatability with the FastEthernet card:

"Fast-Ethernet PA, 1 ports, 100BaseTX-ISL"

Although I haven't found anything on the web about this yet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: