cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Question (tar vs. bin)

Neuromancer
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to be upgrading the IOS on a few of my 2950's. On the Cisco software download section there are these two options: .bin and .tar files. The tar file has a "web based device manager." Is this the same as CNA? Any other difference between the two files?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The .bin is the bare image that you need to operate the switch. The .tar file also contains this .bin file and an additional set of html & other files that are needed to configure the switch via a web browser.

I assume that CNA also uses this browser interface but it is not exactly the same.

regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The .bin is the bare image that you need to operate the switch. The .tar file also contains this .bin file and an additional set of html & other files that are needed to configure the switch via a web browser.

I assume that CNA also uses this browser interface but it is not exactly the same.

regards,

Leo

Right on. Thanks Leo!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: