Views
Helpful
Replies

ios transfer on a spare part

Igor Urosevic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is it mandatory to order an ios when ordering a spare processor for a router?

For example, if I want to buy  a spare RSP720-3C-10GE=    as a standby processor in c76000 chassis, is it allowed to copy ios from primary processor to it?

BR,

Igor             

3 Replies 3

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Igor,

As far as i know some version of IOS comes default with allmost all Cisco products and you dont have to specifically mention this on order form.

Regards

Najaf

Hi Najaf,

Thank you for the answer but that was not exactly the point

Assumptions:

- c7600 chassis, one active RSP

- buy spare RSP with Sharedsupport or Smartnet  without ios

- put a spare RSP as a redudant standby

- copy ios from active to standby RSP (both RSPs are in the same chassis)

Question: Technically this is not a problem to do, but is this by-the-book (ie acknowledged by Cisco), or not?  

HI Igor,

I now get where you are heading to :-)

Yes even though technically it is possible to upgrade you would need a smartnet contract to make the upgrade legal.

Legally, the license for the IOS is not transferable.To get a legal version you have to buy smartnet which will give you a legal licensed copy of the IOS.

Ideally you wont get authrorised copy of IOS for a given product from Cisco web site with out a smartnet contract.

Below would be good read for you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1828/prod_bulletin09186a0080091c59.html

Hope that helps.

Regards

Najaf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: