cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip igmp snooping querier on Nexus, what source IP address to use?

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

Am looking at a problem with servers in the same vlan across multiple switches that are unable to communicate using multicast. I have found that in the systen I'm to set up I need to apply the ip igmp snooping querier command, in the vlan, but it needs a source IP address.

Different documents make conflicting recommendations for this address, one suggests that any unused address will do, another suggests to use the IP address that is configured on the SVI for the vlan.

Which is correct?

2 Replies 2

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

Eventually I had to ask Cisco TAC, the response was that any IP address within the subnet could be used. The recommendation was to allocate an unused address in the vlan subnet for this purpose, use the same address on multiple switches should resiliance be required.

Hi guys.

Yesterday I've the same issue with nexus 5596. L2 Multicast on the same Switch and olny Layer2 is the role of this Switch. After apply the following commands the problem has been solved.

config 

vlan configuration 2616

ip igmp snooping querier 172.16.239.5

end

The ip address needs to be any free ip address on the same subnet/vlan.

I hope it helps you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: