cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to limit bandwidth on a per port basis on catalyst switches?

bclements1
Level 1
Level 1

Just like the subject says, I'm wondering...is it possible to limit bandwidth on a catalyst switch on a per port basis?

For instance..Right now we have a bunch of 100mb links ethernet links to tenants in our building. We'd like to rate limit those to 1mb and adjust as needed.

Is this possible?

5 Replies 5

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Yes, i can be done. but it depends on the model of your switch, because all switches dont support rate-limiting. Please update the post with your switch model.

regards

aashish C

The switches we have are

C3500XL Software (C3500XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC8

We are about to get smartnet on these so that we can get the latest software.

I dont think you can use rate-limit on 3524. You can use it only on 2950 and 3550 and above models. (I could be wrong)

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi,

Rate limiting is NOT supported on any 3500 and 2900xl switches.

As shanky said, it is suppoprted from 2950, 3550 and next switches.

regards

aashish C

Hi all,

You can do rate limiting only on the EI (enhanced image) models of the Cat2950 family. In contrast it is possible to do all rate limiting on all the models of the Cat3550 and Cat3750 family. The main difference between them is that you can to rate limiting in increments of 1 mbit/s on the 2950's and in increments of 8kbit/s on the 3550 and 3750's...

Regards!

Baris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: