cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN line redundancy for Frame relay pvc on multipoint interface

mustafa.mail
Level 1
Level 1

I have a central site with frame-relay mutipoint interface, with multiple pvc's going to different remote locations.How can I, bring up the isdn link between the central site and one of the remote locations, if the PVC(link between them is down).

Remember I have multiple pvc's hence the backup command would not be possible, and the dialer watch will check the network address, which is that the central site and all the remote locations share the same network address.

What is the way out to provide the ISDN link redundancy??

4 Replies 4

csyeo
Level 1
Level 1

Try to use floating static route to backup for the LAN segment behind all your remote site and use dialer profile for each site.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. However, even if I use dialer profile how would I know that the PVC on the multipoint interface for a single location is down. Floating address would still have the same network segment as of the entire frame relay cloud.

Central site (192.168.100.1) ---PVC 470 -->(192.168.100.2)remote site 1

----PVC 570 -->(192.168.100.3)remote site 2

Now the serial interface on the central site has this two PVC - and the network subnet is same for all 3 location - central, site 1 and site 2. So the floating route will point to the same address. Though ip toute table will show the serial interface connected and up.

The floating static is to backup the network at the remote site, such the network segment behind 192.168.100.2

X ----Centralsite-----192.168.100.1----pvc 470----192.168.100.2..remote site....Y

X is network on lan side of central site and Y is network on lan side of remote site.

Configure on central site router, a floating static route to network Y.

If you are using eigrp as routing protocol(say) then administrative distance is 90

So configure a route for Y (static route) with a cost greater than 90.

ip route 92

shanky

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco