cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISL VLAN on 2811

j.kwek
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if the 2811 fast ethernet interface support ISL encapsulation? Only found support for ISL on the etherswitch interface but nothing mentioned about for the default fastethernet interface.

Joseph Kwek

7 Replies 7

parvees123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joseph,

8211 integrated service router wont support ISL encapsulation.it support only dot1q.

"Only 802.1Q is supported. Inter-Switch Link (ISL) is not supported; it is proprietary to Cisco and is not commonly deployed."

Please refer : the follwoing URL "http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps5854/products_qanda_item0900aecd80169bf0.shtml"

Please rate if your found this useful :-)

Regards

PSM

Noted & Thanks.

However, the Cisco Navigator Feature indicates that ISL VLAN is supported on 2811. Any comment?

Its possible the Cisco Navigator documented it wrong. I tested this on a 2821 (Note it has Gigabit rather than FE interface). and it didnt show any thing other than 802.1q.

GDT2821VG(config-if)#int gi 0/1.1

GDT2821VG(config-subif)#en

GDT2821VG(config-subif)#encapsulation ?

dot1Q IEEE 802.1Q Virtual LAN

GDT2821VG(config-subif)#encapsulation

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Yes, I got the same thing on my side.

Just need to confirm.

I think that FN is not showing the right info. I ran the ISL feature check on FN for 2821 and it says its supported, which is not correct.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

parvees123
Level 1
Level 1

Jospeh,

I support with Shanky's point , coz even i tried it.thats is why i gave the that answer in my previous note, i faced the same problem once... I think you got the solution right?

Regards

PSM

I believe that I have no other choice but to use qot1Q as the solution.

Thanks guys.