cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 3945 second power supply...

fearless.rabbit
Level 1
Level 1

... is plugged in, cable is connected to the power socket, and CLI output still shows:

SYSTEM POWER SUPPLY STATUS

==========================

Internal Power Supply 1 Type: AC

Internal Power Supply 1 12V Output Status: Normal

Internal Power Supply 2 Type: Unknown

Internal Power Supply 2 Input Status and 12V Output Status: Fail

I never dealth with physical aspects of Cisco devices before, and I`m not sure is there anything specific that needs to be done except plugging in the second PSU?

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here's the only thing I could find about it-

This unit might have more than one power supply connection. All connections must be removed to de-energize the unit. Statement 1028

Reading between the Cisco lines, I would read that is the router needs to be turned off for IOS to recognize the power supply. Hope it helps and let us know how it goes. It would be interesting for you to pull power supply #1 and see if the router stays up using power supply #2.

Thank you for responding Collin! Router is in production 24/7, but I will schedule the cold restart somewhere during the weekend. Hopefully you are right

Frankaviglia
Level 1
Level 1

Just in case anybody was wondering, the command to get that output was

show environment last

(Took me a while to figure our so I am sharing).

Frank

eliud0484
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Milos im having the same problem than you, I have two C3945 and both of them presents the problem.

The power supply is power on and connected in both sides of the cable (green led), but in CLI it shows fail status. It occurrs in the second power supply.

Did you solved the problem? Could you help me please

SYSTEM POWER SUPPLY STATUS

==========================

Internal Power Supply 1 Type: AC

Internal Power Supply 1 12V Output Status: Normal

Internal Power Supply 2 Type: AC

Internal Power Supply 2 12V Output Status: Fail

Thanks in advance

Regards

Hi,

I did solve it, and I'm a bit ashamed to admit what was the issue. When I removed the plastic cover on the back of the router, power switch of the second PSU was set to 0.

Hope this will turn out to be the case with you, and you wont have to bother with anything else.

Rgs,

M