Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4331/K9 - Cabling Options

jbarber
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We had an activation fail yesterday due to what I am told is interface limitations on the ISR 4331/K9 but I believe I am correct with my initial assumptions and equipment but would like to confirm.

Cisco 4331/K9 
2 - SFP1G-LX-31 LC SFPs

The cabling requirements for the ISR were as follows:

One Copper RJ45 connection to the service provider

One of the SFP1G-LX-31 LC going to a Fiber Patch Panel which was servicing one room of the building

One of the SFP1G-LX-31 LC going to a second port on the Fiber Patch Panel which serviced a second room in the building.

I know one of the ports is either a RJ45 OR SFP interface but there were two others that could be SFPs.

I dont remember the exact interface port numbers but the top two ports could be either RJ45 or SFP (which I had planned to install one SFP in servicing room 1). The lower left interface port is RJ45 (which I had planned on connecting the service providers RJ45 to). The lower right is a SFP port (which I had planned to install one SFP in servicing room 2)

What I was told is that you can only have one SFP and one Copper connection on the 4331 so the second room could not be activated. 

Is this correct? 

3 Replies 3

Djurre Woudstra
Level 1
Level 1

4331  has three fixed ports

G0/0/0 is Copper and SFP switchable 

G0/0/1 is Copper only

G0/0/2 is SFP only

GigabitEthernet0/0/0 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is ISR4331-3x1GE, address is 00xx.xxxx.xxxx

GigabitEthernet0/0/1 is up, line protocol is up

GigabitEthernet0/0/2 is up, line protocol is up

So i would say your assumption is correct and it should work.
Dodgy SFP?

Thanks for the reply!!

Unfortunately I wasn't onsite yesterday so I think it was more of them looking at it and saying that it wouldn't work rather than trying it lol

The pain...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco