cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with HSRP Tracking

rajesharihant
Level 1
Level 1

We are facing a situation with HSRP enabled routers and want to conclude if this is the normal behavior of connectivity or There is a better way to design the network. 

Please review the design. Router-A & B are HSRP partners - Server-1 is able to (& should be) connect with Server-A & B via routing configs.

When Link-3 Fails doesn't impact the connectivity between Server-1 & Seber-A/B. 

During This situation, if Link-2 Fails: The Server-1 Losses connectivity with Server-B. 

Now, at a glance, this seems the expected outcome. 

But is there a better way to use working Link-4 to continue having a connection between Server-1 & Server-B. 

appreciate all your inputs if there is a better way to do the network design. 

rajesharihant_0-1634286532129.png

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Duplicate

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello,

When Link-3 Fails doesn't impact the connectivity between Server-1 & Seber-A/B.

During This situation, if Link-2 Fails: The Server-1 Losses connectivity with Server-B.

So Link3 fails, and then Link2, meaning basically both links are down ? In your drawing I see the 'tracking' keyword, what exactly are you tracking ? I guess it would be useful to see the full configs of both routers...

Mr. George, 

As we can see, Link-1 & 3 is for Server-1 & Link-2 & Link-4 is for Server-2. 

Since Link-3 is down - Router-A - got the primary role. But this compromises the redundancy link of Server-2 as well. 

As when, the Link-2 is down - Server-2 loses its connectivity with the rest of the network. 

Tacking is done for the interface status of the router ports. 

in General, it seems like normal behavior.

Just want to know if there is a better way to do a similar network design - so as to utilize the functioning Link-4 of Server-2. 

Regards,

Rajesh

rajesharihant
Level 1
Level 1

Experts, 

If there is no better way to do the design to achieve a comprehensive redundancy. 

then, can the below design be recommended? I would be thank ful to someone who has some past exposure in this regards. 

By the way, all this is Industrial Network for ICS - hence the Redundancy is of prime importance. 

rajesharihant_0-1634368580941.png

Hello,

I think you need a link between the top two devices in RED (I cannot see what they are), otherwise with link 2 and 3 down simultaneously, both sides get isolated.

pman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

Are server A and server B running ESX / KVM / etc OS?

Yes these are Esxi based server VMs

If I understand correctly, what you're trying to do is to connect each server with two NICs to the same vswitch? If so:

1. Check if ROUTER-A and ROUTER-B see each other in Layer 2 using: show arp, show standby brief

2. Have you checked if the 2 links in each server are configured on the same vswitch and run on the same vlan?
3. Check that the virtual server, router A and also router B are connected to the same vswitch (with the same vlans for each HSRP group)
  3.1 on VM: arp -a -> Make sure it sees the MAC of ROUTER A and ROUTER B (ping from the server to both routers)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: