Views
Helpful
Replies

IWAN - MC HUB (CSR 1000v) and Border Routers Design

mindgame71
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There

I am working for a design for customer with a Master Controller as a virtual router. Because the master controller is virtual there are some limitiations. The Master Controller will be in a differen VLAN 20 (10.20.0.0/24) the Border Router are in VLAN 30 (10.30.0.0/24). When I am looking at IWAN deploy guides the MC HUB and Border Router are directly connected.

Lo0: 10.1.0.11                                                                                                  Lo0: 10.1.0.5

|                                                                                                                                    |                     
MC HUB (1000v)-10.20.0.11-------- .1 Router between .1--------10.30.0.5-Border Router

I am planning to use Lo0 as source interface for the IWAN domain and I would care about the connectivity between the Lo0 interfaces for example with ospf area 0.

Is this a common deployment? Is there anything to consider about?

Many thanks and best regards

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
The master controller can be anywhere, it just needs IP connectivity to each border router (which could be spread all over the world).

Hi Philip

Thanks for the feedback. That is was I thought about.

Best Regards

Hello.

Hub or transit site MC may be placed in any place of your site topology.

Branch MC must be on a connected subnet with all local branch BRs (due to CSCuu40241 - known limitation). This is typically not an problem, as best practice dictates to have a direct L3 link between two boxes.

Best regards,

Hi Vasili

Thanks for your answer!

My Master Controller has connectivity to the local HUB-BR Router where PFR is configured and also to the Branch BR/Master Router.

From the Output of my MC-Router I see the connection but I do NOT see anything under configured interfaces!?

MC-Router#sh domain IWAN master status

*** Domain MC Status ***

Master VRF: Global

Instance Type:    Branch
  Instance id:      0
  Operational status:  Up
  Configured status:  Up
  Loopback IP Address: 10.70.51.1

[SNIP]

Borders:
    IP address: 10.70.51.1
    Connection status: CONNECTED (Last Updated 02:18:00 ago )
    Interfaces configured:

-> Empty!
Does anybody know what could be the reason or had a similiar problem?

Many Thanks and best Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: