cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Laptops crash working with the console connected to Cisco 9500.

mauricio2099
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am configuring remotely some switches 9500
For this a laptop is connected to the Console port of the switch.
Console port opens fine using standard values from Putty Terminal. But when the terminal has to show several lines, the laptop crashes, reboots. The driver in the laptop is installed. This is a WIN 10 machine.

I have to say that using same cable and laptop consoling other devices/servers, doesn't crash.

Has anybody experienced this before and tell me what was done to fix it?
Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am closing the thread as unable to use connection via regular console connection and will remark that USB to mini-USB cable allow to console 9200 and 9500s switches using Putty as terminal interface (like if it was a regular COM). Laptop doesn't crash this way.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- This is a 'local' problem on your laptop. What driver  are you talking about ? Post  the eventvwr messages from the crash.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello Marce1000

This is what the event logs say:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
Windows.SecurityCenter.WSCBrokerManager 
and APPID
unavailable
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRCP) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). The security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

And the driver installed for the USB-Serial adapter to work is Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port version 3.3.2.102

I appreciate!

- This seems some kind of permission problem , Google on the first part of  the message may provide hints as in :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/dfc465bc-7bbd-483e-b98b-2ba56fa98313/the-applicationspecific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-launch-permission-for-the-com-server?forum=configmgrgeneral

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Using the same laptop and cable, I consoled a 9200 switch. 
I configured the management port to avoid using the console port. But my surprise is that this time the laptop is not crashing. Not sure what is different. I'll be montoring.
Also ill check what you sent. I also googled it.

Console continue crashing on 9200s and 9500s seems that it crashed more often if several lines are displayed.
I asked a computer tech to go through the document and apply it to the laptop but he mentioned he got stuck at some point in the process that doesn't applies for our configuration.

Hello

I get it al the time, its the usb/console driver try and download the cisco compatible one to see if it makes any difference  - Here

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul, thanks for sharing the link.

The driver was downloaded and installed. But continued failing. (laptop was rebooted to apply driver)
Also tried with a different and new USB-serial adapter and also a new roll-over cable but laptop continue crashing.

We are today connecting using the mini-USB console port in the 9500s and its working much better, smooth.
Only 1 crash when one of the 9500 was doing its boot process.
Not sure if 9200s have this mini-US console port available. if so I will try it.
Before today I entered through console and configured MGTM port with an IP to use it as alternative. And laptop died several times during this attempts, but through MGTM port could make progress.

I am closing the thread as unable to use connection via regular console connection and will remark that USB to mini-USB cable allow to console 9200 and 9500s switches using Putty as terminal interface (like if it was a regular COM). Laptop doesn't crash this way.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: