cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing VLAN's

dkorell
Level 1
Level 1

In medium size networks (~1000 nodes), what are others doing to manage VLANs as far as at the port level? I am currently assiging VLANs to a port and in one closet, there can be up to 150 connections with maybe 30 connections being in different VLAN's from the closet's default.

Problem is last week I had to swap out a bad switch and what a pain making sure you get the right patch cable plugged back into a port assigned to a specific VLAN. I originally looked into using the MAC address lookup table but that can be a pain too since you have to input ~1000 MAC addresses.

Any advice?

2 Replies 2

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

I would just copy the old config to the new switch (after making any necessary changes), so the port assignments are the same, then swing the cables one at a time. If I couldn't mount the new switch without removing the old one, I would number the cables with the port number before unplugging from the old switch.

I agree.

It's also a good practice to group ports in one VLAN as near as possible - i.e. configure port 1-16 to be in one VLAN, 17-30 in second VLAN, etc.

You can just collect the group of patch cables with a stick and don't have to number each cable particulary.

Regards,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: