cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MHSRP

mitchel
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to impliment MHSRP on routers running BGP and OSPF? IF I have multiple secondary addresses on the ethernet interfaces can I also assign multiple standby addresses and have only two networks use these addresses as their default gateway? In other words I only want two networks of many to use the secondary router if the primary fails.

thanks

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Usually low end platforms from Cisco with Lance or Quicc ethernet hardware (you can see this in output of show interface ethernet) doesnt support MHSRP. THey support only 1 hsrp groups. But with high end platforms like 7000 u shud be able to run MHSRP....on the ethernet interface

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I have a 7206 and a 3640. I want to use the 3640 as secondary. My goal is to have the 3640 take over if the connection on the 7206 fail, and only route traffic for two networks.

nicolaswatson
Level 1
Level 1

YES. HSRP can be assigned to multiple secondary addresses without any issues. You may wish to number the standby groups to match the sub-interface numbers for ease of administration. The networks (on some of the sub-interfaces) you do not wish to participate in HSRP are simply not programmed for it. The gateway addresses on the Hosts (or other devices) not participating in HSRP will simply be that of the chosen router sub-interface. You may wish to load balance traffic between the two or more routers, by making one router have some Active interfaces and some Standby interfaces.

NOTE: BGP and OSPF will not present any issues for multiple HSRP sub-interfaces, as HSRP is a switching function. The routing protocols will advertise what they see, being the active sub-interface networks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: