cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration to Port-Channel from 'hard coded' 100BaseX Trunk

SteveGodfrey
Level 1
Level 1

I need to increase the bandwidth of a trunk link between a 7513 and 6509, currently there are 23 subinterfaces under a single Fast Ethernet interface which is trunked using ISL to the 6509. Each sub-interface is configured with a HSRP address used for inter VLAN routing.

I intend to configure a Port-Channel and duplciate the sub-interface configuration. While the current Fast Ethernet trunk is active.

My question is can two seperately configured trunk links exist on a single device? Ideally I'd create the Port Channel and assign spare IP addresses to the sub-interfaces and when the time comes to swap to this new trunnk link just move the HSRP addresses across.

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Hello Steve,

May I suggest a procedure to achieve this?

First of all, you will have downtime during the switchover.

I would use a script to:

1: remove the ip adresses from the FE

2: create the port channel

3: assign the same IP's to the port channel

4: make the existing FE part of the channel

Paste this script to the console. After this it should be possible to add a second link to the channel. With careful preparation (i.e. a script with no errors) you can make the switch witin a minute. In my opinion, this is the safest method.

Regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: