cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

more than 64 Vlan

lformelli
Level 1
Level 1

I have an a LAN installed in a hotel developed to core of Catalyst 2950-G and access for the rooms of four switches Catalyst 2950SX.

Each of 115 rooms of hotel have an access to Internet through a router , connected in trunk to core LAN , supplied from SP which also give IP addrees for each rooms(DHCP).

Each room is connected to access switches , and each room is configured like an differen Vlan , for security.

In each switch access I have about 30 Vlan configured but in a core switch connected in trunk I have 115 Vlan.

Can I have this configuration also if in acces switch (SI) I can't configure more than 64 Vlan ?

How have to I manage VTP for do it ?

Best regards

Lorenzo

5 Replies 5

gaban
Level 1
Level 1

JUst a suggestion if you will be using a different vlan for each room then sometime in the future you will run out of VLAN. If the rooms just needs to connect to the internet why not just do an Access control list to permit access to internet and deny everything else.

Hi Gaban,

I don't configure the router,which is supplied from SP.

SP wants one vlan for each room and I'd like know if with this type of Catalyst I can have 115 vlan in the core (where is connected the router)also if I have some switches that supports till 64 Vlan.

You should be able to configure more than 64 vlans. What model is your core switch? What is you access switch? If I understand you right you created 115 vlan in your core switch. You should make this your VTP server then the other switch vtp client. If you connect your switch to the core via a trunk then you will have access to 115 vlan that you created. You just need to create an access port on your switch and assign it to the vlan that you want.

hope this helps. Goodluck

Hi,

I have at core an catalyst 2950-G that support 256 Vlan.

At the access I have four Catalyst 2950SX (64 Vlan max.), where I have to configure about 30 Vlan for ever switch(one for each room).

Of course ever switch of access is connected in trunk with Core.

I think that I can't activated VTP because the access switch don't support more than 64 Vlan.

So I'll configure in trasparent mode my VTP.

Are you agree ?

gjaeggle
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Be aware that the SI Image on a 2950 has a maximum of 64 VLANs. An EI Image has a max of 250 VLANs. But you can not update a 2950SX to an EI image.