cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple DHCP servers on 6513 Vlan config

dhenuvakonda
Level 1
Level 1

6513 with 12.1 ver, On Vlan interfaces can I add a secondary DHCP server IP address for redundency. If so what is the command to execute.

"ip helper-address a.b.c.d" on vlan interface.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

raju
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you can . Here it goes . For example , if you have a Vlan 10 , just configure as follows where a.b.c.d will be primary and w.x.y.z as secondary. Make sure that DHCP scope is available in secondary DHCP server also for same Vlan .

interface Vlan10

description Vlan for ADMIN Bldg Users

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.254.0

ip helper-address a.b.c.d

ip helper-address w.x.y.z

Regards,

Raju

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

raju
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you can . Here it goes . For example , if you have a Vlan 10 , just configure as follows where a.b.c.d will be primary and w.x.y.z as secondary. Make sure that DHCP scope is available in secondary DHCP server also for same Vlan .

interface Vlan10

description Vlan for ADMIN Bldg Users

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.254.0

ip helper-address a.b.c.d

ip helper-address w.x.y.z

Regards,

Raju

This may have answered a question I had looming out there. I have two VLANS (1 = Data, 20 = Voice) but want to throw my data onto say VLAN 10. I have a router w/ two FE's plugged into two separate switches that all connect together. One of the FE is configured as 192.168.10.1 (data) and the other FE is configured as 192.168.20.1. My phones would never get a DHCP address even though on the router I told that interface of 192.168.20.1 (ip helper address) to point to our DHCP. My question is: Do I HAVE to assign VLAN 20 an IP Address? along w/ VLAN 10?

Thanks

Hi Raju,

Thanks for the reply, you are exactly right, I can go up to 16 IP helper command on one vlanXX interface. By the time I got this reply I did my little research and implemented and test with 2 dhcp servers and it was working great. Once again thanks for the reply.