cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Vlan addresses on adapter problem

dcooke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. This will no doubt be very simple for someone - but I am quite new to this!

Essentially we have a server (server1) plugged into a C2950 - port 2. It has several addresses on one physical adapter. These are in different networks eg. 192.168.6.2, 192.168.7.2 etc . How can I get it to communicate with other servers on the same switch in these networks?

For example, server 2 and 3 with addresses 192.168.6.30 and 192.168.6.31 are plugged into ports 3 & 4 with static access VLAN 30. Server 4 and 5 with addresses 192.168.7.40 and 192.168.7.41 are plugged into ports 5 & 6 with static access VLAN 40.

If port 2 is configured as a static access in VLAN 30 it can communicate with servers 3 & 4. If port x2 is configured with static access in VLAN 40 it can communicate with servers 5 & 6.

I presumed making the port a trunk:

interface FastEthernet0/2

switchport trunk native vlan 30

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

mls qos trust cos

macro description cisco-router

spanning-tree portfast trunk

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

would enable server 1 to communicate with all the others servers - but no joy (vlan 30 is the management vlan).

Any other suggestions? Obviusly if I used physical adapters on server 1 assigned them to the appropriate static access vlans then it would be fine.

Thanks in advance

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

You are on the right track with the trunk. In a normal case you would have a router sitting on a trunk with a subinterface in each vlan with a IP on each.

Most server's now support 802.1q trunks. You can put in multiple interfaces and assign a vlan tag and ip address just like a router. I would not recommend really routing other servers traffic.

This is basically the same as your plan to use separate interfaces but it shares one cable.

I have done this but someone who does more server based work would have to help you with any details.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

You are on the right track with the trunk. In a normal case you would have a router sitting on a trunk with a subinterface in each vlan with a IP on each.

Most server's now support 802.1q trunks. You can put in multiple interfaces and assign a vlan tag and ip address just like a router. I would not recommend really routing other servers traffic.

This is basically the same as your plan to use separate interfaces but it shares one cable.

I have done this but someone who does more server based work would have to help you with any details.

tdrais

I was trying to keep it simple to start with! - but its the inside address on an MS ISA firewall.

Initially a PIX sends the packets to the outside interface on the ISA (which is a trunk on the C2950 switch). That works fine.

The ISA forwards allowed traffic to the inside interface on the ISA (also on the same C2950). However, as mentioned, the inside address on the ISA has several address on different networks. These need to communicate with other servers in these networks on the same C2950. The config on c2950 on the port with the inside ISA interface is causing the problem somehow. I will leave it as a trunk and try putting VLANS on the server adapters.

Any other ideas let me know!

thanks

Dan

tdrais

Just added adapter teams with different Vlan tags for the different networks on the server and left the port as a trunk -works a treat!

Thanks very much for your help.

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: