cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Expert advice

jsantiago
Level 1
Level 1

have a task to setup a 2924 switch with 3 2610 routers. The routers are simply connected to the switch and the switch does not have any configuration on any of its ports. What are my options? Or do I really need to configure the switch?

Thanks

Jorge

5 Replies 5

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well, if you want all routers to be part of the same subnet, you can simply connect all the routers to the switch and leave the switch with the default configuration. That way, all the routers will be automatically assigned to VLAN1.

The only real configuration needed on the switch is to do "no shutdown" on the ports you are going to use.

Thanks

Do I have to assing an IP address to the switch? or just leave it the way it is.

You only need to assign an ip address to switch if you need to manage(telnet/SMNP) remotely, or need to ping switch for connection verification.

Hope this helps!

If you want to manage the switch, you also have to configure a password on the vty lines (otherwise you will get the message password required but none set if you telnet to the switch)

conf t

line vty 0 15 (or the amount of possible vty lines on your switch)

password xxxxxx

exit

wr

I advice you to configure your ports on the switch and the router with the right

duplex modes en speed. The peed/duplex on the switch needs to be the same as the speed/duplex on the router. You can leave it as autonegotiating, but we have experienced problems with this.

conf t

int

speed (10 or 100)

duplex (full or half)

exit