Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Performance

asim72
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I want to know how to check network performance. the procedure which i know is check by giving a ping command and from we come to know from reply command. if its 2 milisecond its ok.

is this the only procedure to check or is there some other commands or software as well.

Regards.

2 Replies 2

Hello,

there are loads of tools available, the problem is that most of them cost money. Ping gives an indication of varying response times, you could use a tool such as Ping Plotter (www.pingplotter.com) to continuously send pings and even have alerts sent to you when defined thresholds are exceeded.

You could also use MRTG (www.mrtg.org), which is a freeware tool and lets you graph anything that can be approached with SNMP.

I guess the best approach would be to create a benchmark of your own network, which would give you a guideline and a value to refer to.

Regards,

Georg

Also keep in mind if you are pinging network gear the response times will tend to be longer as ping is relegated to a lower priority on the cpu . For actual response you need to ping thru the device to say a pc located on a particular lan .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: