cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

network with 2 DSL lines

jacksplat
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network with 32 users on it. We had a single DSL line but it wasn't cutting it, so we upgraded to a second line since speeding up the single connection was out of the question because of our distance from the tower. Originally i had simply divided the network into two halves, putting one half on each DSL line. I was wondering if it might be possible to make a load-balancer of sorts that would combine the two DSL lines and allow me to keep my network as one.

7 Replies 7

smif101
Level 4
Level 4

what type of router do you have and are both dsl lines coming into it.

i have a linksys router on 1 line and a netopia router/modem on the other...they make routers that handle 2 lines?

For management it is better to keep it this way!

but u can do it

let all users go out through single router on this router balance traffic on interfaces (two or more)

u can make all traffic to pass through single line till a certain value is attained then the other line comes to operation (is up)

but does any of ur routers support that?

A cisco 1721 router loaded with 2 x WIC-1ADSL can support two ADSL lines. Normally, the DSL service provider provides his own modems/routers. In such cases, it is recommended to use those since the provider may be hesitant to support another vendor's equipment while troubleshooting.

yeah that 1721 router looks perfect, as did this other load balancer some one reffered me to, but they cost way too much...so I was hoping there was some little home-brew solution that I could try.

rizwan.afzal
Level 1
Level 1

You can use a Cisco router with 2 Ethernet ports (simplest can be a Cisco 1721 with a WIC-1-ENET module). Connect one ethernet port to your LAN switch or hub and the other ethernet to an additional hub/switch. Connect the ethernet ports from your DSL routers to this additional hub.

Users on the LAN will have their default gateway set to the IP address of the router's ethernet connected to the LAN switch. Inside the 1721 router, add two default routes pointing to the two DSL routers' ethernets. This will give you the desired load balancing.

really ? I have a same purpose but more clear Network Topo in this link below:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dd627c5

Can you show me the best sulution ?

thanks,