cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New WLAN(s)

Ed Willson
Level 1
Level 1

Last year we had a glut of resources. I purchased a 5508 WLC with a (50) AP license, (12) 1042 APs, and (12) 3500 APs. We already have 6 APs in the field run by a 2106.

What I would like to do is supply wireless access to all of the laptops and iphones that are corporate, and also provide guest access.  At the same time, I would like to make the lives of the outside workers who maintain a VPN connection all day in the home office a bit easier with Office Extend.

So - I'm at a place where I don't know where to begin.  That is an excellent place to start I think

I would like to deploy in stages - replace the current infrastructure, provide guest access, and have the remote users connected in stages.  It's all about how to get started at this point.

Thanks,

Ed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

One of the wireless gurus who regularly posts in the forum, George, has number of videos.  You may want to browse his website to get more materials.

http://www.my80211.com/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
So - I'm at a place where I don't know where to begin.

Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, Release 7.2

Thanks Leo - I saw that and all the associated material. 

I should have been a bit more clear.  I can't sit and read a manual like that, If I took a week off to read a book I wouldn't get as much out of it as I would by taking a class and getting hands on in a lab.  How about a reccomendation for a class (or two, or three!) that would impart the knowledge I need to implement what I want?

Thanks,

Ed

One of the wireless gurus who regularly posts in the forum, George, has number of videos.  You may want to browse his website to get more materials.

http://www.my80211.com/

Miles Davis
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Ed,

I would recommend you check out some of the Smart Business Architecture (SBA) documentation at http://www.cisco.com/go/sba/.  It is straightforward documentation with lots of screenshots and easy  to follow instructions to get you up and running with a wide range of  Cisco products.

Based on what you have asked for (LAN WiFi, Guest Access, and Office Extend) I would check out the following documents:

Enterprise LAN Deployment Guide (Wireless LAN section)

Teleworking Deployment Guide (Cisco OfficeExtend section)

Want some authentication then check out this guide:

LAN and WLAN 802.1X Deployment Guide

And since you bought some pretty sweet 3500s I would recomend that you check out this guide:

Wireless CleanAir Deployment Guide

There are some other guide with more Advanced Guest Wireless as well. If you are a smaller organization then checkout the Midsize docs for doing coresident LAN and Guest on the same controller.

Also we doing a major overhaul on our documents to be release in August so be aware that the format will change a little bit but the archtectire (as always with SBA) will stay the same.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about SBA!

-Miles

Great site and a good bit of info to start.  Miles - I have checked out those resources on a high level, and have them saved for future use!
I talked my employeer into a CBT subscription, on 2k/yr, and I've been devouring content.  It's great for spoon feeding me the info I need to get a foothold and dig in.
Thanks,
   Ed
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: