cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not getting IPs while connecting to the VLAN Ports

4pratik
Level 1
Level 1

Please see my Layer 3 VLAN configuration. Can someone please let me know what needs to be done in order to get DHCP IP?

Laptop connected to G0/1 for VLAN1XX not getting IP.

interface Vlan1XX
description SRVRVLAN
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
switchport access vlan 1XX
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast
end

!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- That output is not enough to conclude on the problem 1) Do you have a DHCP server2) Is it on the same Vlan or not 3) If you think your DHCP-infrastructure should work, then check it's logs and see whether or not mac addresses are being served with IP-addresses.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree that we do not know enough about this situation to be able to give good answers. Since we see configuration of a vlan interface and of an access port I assume that this configuration of some kind of Catalyst switch. If that is not correct please provide clarification. We do not know whether the DHCP function is intended to be provided by this switch or by some external server. Please clarify.

If the DHCP function is to be provided by this switch then please provide what you have configured on this switch for DHCP. If the DHCP is external to the switch then is is in the same vlan as the clients? If the server is external and is not in the same vlan as the clients then the vlan interface configuration should include a helper address pointing to the server.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- That output is not enough to conclude on the problem 1) Do you have a DHCP server2) Is it on the same Vlan or not 3) If you think your DHCP-infrastructure should work, then check it's logs and see whether or not mac addresses are being served with IP-addresses.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree that we do not know enough about this situation to be able to give good answers. Since we see configuration of a vlan interface and of an access port I assume that this configuration of some kind of Catalyst switch. If that is not correct please provide clarification. We do not know whether the DHCP function is intended to be provided by this switch or by some external server. Please clarify.

If the DHCP function is to be provided by this switch then please provide what you have configured on this switch for DHCP. If the DHCP is external to the switch then is is in the same vlan as the clients? If the server is external and is not in the same vlan as the clients then the vlan interface configuration should include a helper address pointing to the server.

HTH

Rick

Thank you guys, I was able to setup switch as DHCP server and it worked fine

I am glad that our suggestions were able to help you develop a solution that works. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

Martin L
VIP
VIP

possibility out of IPs if lease time is too big; can u enable dhcp server debugs on switch? i know u can on a router but i never did dhcp debug on switch
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: